Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Skillet Stuffed Peppers

Last night not only did we have football practice but I wanted to try a new recipe. So I did both.



As a child I remember my parents making Stuffed Peppers. I am pretty sure I was "forced" to eat the peppers, and I know as a teen I refused. But oh my I was missing out. The dinner was great. And I of course"forced" my children to eat the peppers. I also told Mathew who was giving a pretty good fight that "it was just like pasta sauce with rice not noodles". So after cutting up the peppers and mixing them with the filling he gobbled dinner down! Annabelle has no problem trying out new things and was very proud that she didn't need her pepper cut up! Jacob is just refusing to eat altogether these days. I think molars can be to blame.....




Here is where I got the idea to do stuffed peppers (4 for a $1), and here is where I got the skillet version. Here is my take on the 25 min belly stuffer.




1lb ground beef browned*

2 peppers

1 can tomato sauce

2 cups cooked rice

onion- I used maybe a 1/4 cup

basil -remembering I do not measure my spices

sugar

salt


Brown beef and add onion, as the beef cooks, boil the water add salt. While water boils cook rice. Place peppers in water for 5-6 minutes. After time, set them on a cutting board. Finish the meat, and drain*. Add 1/2 can of tomato sauce, 1/2 of cooked rice, sugar, and basil to the skillet combining them with the meat. Slice the peppers in half and clean out seeds, place the halves in the skillet and "stuff" in the mix leaving some meat mix for the remaining sauce and rice. Add the remaining rice and sauce, mix well. Saute for 5 mins. Serve.


I served the adults the pepper slice with extra mix. The children shared a pepper slice diced mixed in with the meat mix.



* I have been using turkey to save a little cash lately, and have become accustom to the taste. As I was browning the beef, I could not believe the amount of grease. So the next time I make this I will use ground turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment