Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Minestrone Soup???? Stew???

I never imagined all the ways to make Minestrone Soup. I have never eaten it, so too see so many ideas was a bit overwhelming. I have a total of 3 cookbooks, I hope to grow that collection in the next few years. So, I tend to rely on google for most recipes. I also heard about http://www.foodgawker.com/ from a friend. Thanks Amanda!!! I like to look at that for color, I don't like to make a recipe I can not see, know what I mean?


So the other day I decided to buy some veggies, in hopes I would try to make Minestrone soup. I tend to get scared off easily so I have other ideas so I don't waste the veggies. But this time I stuck with it and made my Minestrone. I'm sure you recall I mentioned in other posts I do not measure ingredients.




I started off with my leftovers from dinner 2 nights ago, a chunk of Roast( maybe 2lbs) and extra beef broth.





1/2 can beef broth


chunk of roast


3 carrots


4 smaller Russet potatoes (peeled and cubed)


2 celery stalks (sliced as you like)


1/3 white onion (chopped)


1/2 bag frozen peas


6 oz can of tomato paste


24 oz water



Place all items in crock pot. I cooked from 10am -5 pm on high temp. I took out my chunk of roast at 1pm so it wouldn't become too soft and shred, but it was long enough for the soup to gain the flavors. Normally you would add pasta when it is time to serve, but of course my plans didn't turn out.....

Here comes my twist. When Lance got home he saw the chunk of roast and asked why it wasn't in the soup. I explained and then he added well it already looks like vegetable soup so why not make it a stew. So stew it was. And when we sat down for dinner that is what it tasted like. Very good flavors, just not what I wanted to make.

Anyone have ideas on how to keep it Minestrone and Stew?!!!

In hopes for better soups!!

Rachel and Family!

No comments:

Post a Comment